We are looking for an illustrator and/or web designer to join our team. Please state your experience and the reason why you want this non-paying job.
Our deadline has been extended to December 31, 2019. We also changed the title.
General Submission Guidelines:
1) The writer must be either an immigrant/migrant or a child of an immigrant/migrant;
2) Stories must be FICTION (or, if drawn on the writer’s experience, FICTIONALIZED);
3) Stories may not exceed 1000 words, not counting the title;
4) Any fiction genre is acceptable, except for children’s literature, porn, denigrating and hateful fare, and bad writing. Edgy is good; R-rated (but not X) is acceptable; sad is okay; magic realism is nifty; humor is amazing. A PLOT is essential!
5) To see the quality of stories we publish, check us out on line at www.vestalreview.org; we don’t want you to imitate our Flash, but feel free to be inspired by it;
6) We accept reprints;
7) We will be asking for one-time rights for original stories; once the book is out, the story’s ownership reverts to you;
One submission per author.
Please begin your cover letter with a statement like that:
"I am a [first or second] generation immigrant to [the name of your new country]."
Without such statement your entry will be disqualified. Sorry.
We don’t care where you came from, or where you now live; just that the two aren’t the same. What we do care about—passionately—is the quality of your fiction, and the plot and length of your stories. Your stories should be about immigration, but the theme can be interpreted broadly. Writers will receive a modest honorarium payment, and a print edition of the finished book if they live in the US, or an electronic edition if they live on more far-flung soil.
It might sound obvious, but please read the instructions before submitting.
If you are a Vestal Review alumni, please submit your publishing news to us. Don't forget to include the links. Please limit your news to two.
Do not submit your fiction or any other writing here except the news.
Please read the entire guidelines before submitting. No, really. Please do. It will help you, and it will help us.
Vestal Review publishes its print issues twice a year in a perfect-bound edition. We don't read new submissions in December, January, June and July.
Vestal Review is a magazine for new flash (short-shorts) fiction, 500 words or fewer. We don't accept reprints.
We love to hear new voices, especially from immigrants, but we don’t discriminate against anyone.
We love magic realism. High fantasy, science fiction, romance and kids stories? Not so much.
$2 fee. The honorarium is $25 plus a hard copy. All stories from the print edition will appear on the Web as well. All payments will be made only through PayPal.
We consider only one story per submission, so if you submit more, we will read only the first one. Feel free to make multiple submissions, but only one at the time. We accept simultaneous submissions.
Color art for the print and Web issues covers. Please submit portrait orientation only with the ratio of 1.5 or 1.6. Payment is one copy of the print issue.
Interior illustrations in B&W for the print copy or color for the Website. No pay, just fame.